Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Camera Shy



For Christmas I asked for my first DSLR camera, a real camera. I wanted to be able to take beautiful photographs like I see all over the internet and my point and shoot was sorely lacking.  I was so excited to open it up but then I had absolutely no idea what to do with it. So many buttons and options that all meant nothing to me. I started reading the 300 page instruction manual but then I got even more discouraged and it sat in the box for about two months. My next step was to take advantage of a Groupon for a DSLR 101 class at Berger Bros Camera shop. This turned out to be a great starting point. The instructor boiled it down to the features most often used and gave understandable explanations on how and when to apply them. I also contacted our wedding photographer, Laura Ryan, for some general camera advice. She recommended that I get a 50mm f/1.8 lens to add to my kit as she used that the most when she was just starting out. I did a quick search to see what results I would get with this lens and I realized it would produce the types of photographs that I am always admiring on other blogs. I was so excited to get started after I attended the class but it was right as I was starting my yoga teacher training so almost all of my free time was taken up with that. Now that I just finished my training I am definitely going to make time to really start exploring how to use this camera and I am asking for some new equipment for my birthday this week-


-Most blogs and camera tutorials I have read recommend getting a tripod, especially for shooting interior photographs of your house which I plan to do.
-A 50mm lens as mentioned above, this has been recommended to me by multiple sources. 

Let me stress again that I know next to nothing about cameras or taking photographs so I just found these items by searching on Amazon and reading the reviews.

 As much as I need help with my photography skills I also have much to learn about blogging. I recently enrolled in an online blogging course where I partnered up with Joyelle of Cloud and Day. Joyelle is a wedding and lifestyle photographer who also keeps a blog to document her photographs of everyday life.  Joyelle’s photographs are beautiful. I love her attention to detail, she makes you feel like you are right there with her.

I did a short Q&A with Joyelle to see how she got started in photography and what she would recommend for a newbie like me-

-How did you get started in this field? 
J: I always loved photography, and after college I had a job in research. But I decided to take a night class in photography for fun. I was hooked!

-Who or what do you love to photograph?
J: I love shooting everything- people, interiors, weddings, products. The most important thing to me is the light. I love photographing in great light! 

-Favorite piece of equipment?
J: My 50mm lens. I don't use zoom lenses, I love my 50mm the best. My feet are the best "zoom" that I have.

-What advice do you have for beginners?
J: Shoot, shoot, shoot. And look at your work. Don't let your photos live on a memory card or on a hard drive. You really have to look at your work to see what's working and what isn't working. Then adjust, correct, and keep shooting.

-What is a must have camera accessory for someone starting out?
J: Honestly, more than anything, it's extra memory cards. This goes along with what I said about shooting nonstop. Get a lot of memory cards and fill them. Also, always have an extra battery. In terms of lenses, start with one great lens, the lower the aperture, the better. You don't need a lot of lenses to start. Get one great lens and use it as much as you can. 

-Why did you decided to start a blog?
J: I shoot a lot for myself and I just wanted a place to show my work (other than just a Facebook page). The blog has been a great creative outlet for me.

-What is your favorite photography blog to follow?
J: Alice Gao, Lingered Upon (lingeredupon.blogspot.com). Her work is just stunning.

Thanks Joyelle, for sharing your story and advice!

Are you a newbie just starting out like me? Or have you been photographing for years and have some great tips for us amateurs? I can’t wait to get my 50mm lens and start snapping away.




2 comments:

  1. Hey! I took a photography class before and the professor recommended to get 'creative camera control' by Peter Laytin. It boils down to the basics. I personally like the book (even if there's tons of info online) because I can easily flip thru it too. I also subscribe to Popular Photography. It gets too technical though. �� I am not technical when it comes to taking photos but capturing the moment and with perfect lighting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendations Princess!

      Delete