Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Green Drinks



Anyone who follows me on Instagram knows I am pretty obsessed with the NutriBullet. It is definitely one my favorite items in the kitchen and a ‘green drink’ has quickly become part of our morning breakfast routine. I also love to enjoy something fruity and refreshing after a sweat inducing hot yoga session.  I use whatever fruit we have on hand that week and I try to mix it up as much as possible to keep it interesting.
For breakfast I almost always use spinach as my ‘green’ but occasionally I will break it up with kale or mixed greens such as collards, dandelion, etc. I find spinach to be the least offensive. Unless you really like the taste of the more unique options I think they can make the drink taste bitter. The spinach is fairly mild and takes on the flavor of whatever fruit is included. If you are new to green drinks I would recommend adding an apple or banana as they overpower almost anything you put in there. From there you can move on and become more adventurous. Sometimes when I am sick of spinach I will use carrot or cucumber as my base so that I am still getting a veggie into the mix.
I really don’t have any set recipes since I tend to use different items each week but I will share some of my favorites. As far as ingredients, it’s really whatever you like. Have fun with it. Picking the ingredients is the best part! And it is a great opportunity to incorporate fruits and veggies that you might not otherwise be getting in your diet.  I would recommend using at least one veggie and then adding 2-4 fruits. For the liquid I use water, almond milk, coconut milk, coconut water or any combination of the four.  Summer is really an amazing time to start doing this because there are so many delicious fruits and veggies at your disposal. 





After yoga or a workout I like to enjoy something made just with fruit. Especially after hot yoga, it really helps to cool me down. My current obsession is cantaloupe, pineapple and grapefruit with half coconut water/half coconut milk. So refreshing. These types of smoothies can make a great late night treat as well. I wouldn’t say it’s an exact substitute for Ben and Jerry’s but it definitely helps curb the craving. If you want something more ‘chocolatey desserty' I would recommend blending organic chocolate milk with a banana and almond butter or you can substitute almond milk and a scoop of chocolate protein powder instead of chocolate milk.  




Some other favorites:
-Kale I Mango I Banana I Apple
-Spinach I Nectarine I Strawberry I Orange
-Cucumber I Peach I Pear
-Spinach I Plum I Pineapple I Grape

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment